History of Drinking & Pubs
Insider London’s History of Drinking and Pubs Tour will have you raising your glass to this city’s historical pubs treasures and its famous drinking culture. Whether you are visiting London for the first time or you’re a local who enjoys discovering its hidden gems, our experienced tour guides will help you uncover the history of the English pub.
From the traditional alehouse to the city taverns, learn the history behind traditional ale and why English people love this drink so much! Travel through London’s drinking history in two hours, learn about medieval brewing techniques and the inventive - and sometimes disgusting - ingredients that were once used.
Meeting Point: Outside Blackfriars Station
Finishing Point: Near Blackfriars Station (this is a loop tour)
On this London pub tour you will:
- Discover the history of the drink that nearly drove beer (…and Londoners themselves) to extinction
- Learn about the connection between the Thames Tunnel and the common circular central bar found in many pubs today
- Visit a pre-Great Fire London pub which became a favourite hang-out for the likes of Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain and Dr Samuel Johnson
- Learn about the architect who designed churches and cathedrals and built a tavern for his owns masons to enjoy
- Discover the truth behind the legend of an Ale-Conner’s leather trousers
- Enjoy a drink on the site where the legitimacy of Henry VIII’s divorce from Catherine of Aragon was decided
To book your History of Drinking Tour or to find out more then get in touch via email@example.com.